This is a fascinating documentary on eight of the most ambitious mega-projects currently under development around the world, featuring: Istanbul’s building boom (Turkey); the Mission to put a human on Mars; the effort to develop Lagos (Nigeria); Africa’s unprecedented clean energy opportunity; the project to probe the nearest Earth-like exoplanet; Atlanta’s stadium of the future (Georgia, United States); India’s effort to modernize its highways; and China’s unprecedented One Belt One Road, “New Silk Road” initiative.
It’s a massive project with many roads, railways, ports and maritime routes making up new and revived trade corridors. The land-based projects are the belt. The road is the maritime routes that will connect up China’s southern provinces to south-east Asia and the east coast of Africa with ports and railways.
For those who are uninitiated, the “Silk Road” was an ancient network of trade routes that were for centuries central to cultural interaction originally through regions of Eurasia connecting the East and West. The Silk Road concept refers to both the terrestrial and the maritime routes connecting Asia and Europe.
While the term is of modern coinage, the Silk Road derives its name from the lucrative trade in silk (and horses) carried out along its length, beginning during the Han Dynasty.
- Denmark’s wind farm initiative - February 10, 2020
- 5 terrifying ways humanity is damaging the planet - January 28, 2020
- China’s “floating bridge” built in the middle of a river - January 20, 2020
- Japan: World Leading Solar Power - January 13, 2020
- Anglesey: UK’s first “plastic-free” county - December 2, 2019
- Recycling solution to Australia’s plastic problem? - November 18, 2019
- The world’s highest bridge - November 4, 2019
- Road to the Future - October 21, 2019
- The World’s Most Extreme Construction Site - October 10, 2019
- 15 tallest buildings in the world that have completed construction in 2019 - October 4, 2019