A newly opened shopping mall on Mexico City’s south side partly collapsed due to structural problems. A video captures the moment the cantilevered, multi-story section of the mall collapses in a cloud of dust, smashed glass and twisted metal.
The Artz Pedregal mall opened in March, though parts remain under construction. It had drawn the ire of neighbors worried about the loss of open space, congestion and other issues. Built on the edge of the city’s main expressway, the mall had suffered previous subsoil slides.
The city also has notoriously bad subsoil conditions, and developers often build on unstable land.
In 2016, while foundation work was still being done on the mall, a retaining wall next to the expressway partly collapsed.
- Mirvac forms Build-to-Rent club - August 13, 2018
- UBERAIR Skyport - August 6, 2018
- The world’s first solar freeway is here - July 21, 2018
- Newly built mall collapses due to structural failures - July 16, 2018
- First family to move into a 3D-printed house - July 9, 2018
- Sky Habitat in Singapore - July 2, 2018
- Project video: 125-129 Arthur Street Parramatta - June 25, 2018
- Project video: 433-439 Princess Highway Rockdale - June 25, 2018
- Project video: 98-116 Lakeside Parade Jordan Springs - June 25, 2018
- Shaping the future of construction - June 19, 2018